The 2011 Rugby World Cup (RWC 2011) Group Stage concluded on 2 October.
A total of 40 Games were played in four pools. Eight teams progressed to the Knockout Stage in the Tournament. The IRB Rankings (5 September 2011) of these teams were: New Zealand (1); Australia (2); South Africa (3); France (4); England (5); Wales (6); Ireland (8); Argentina (9).
Scotland (7) were the only highly ranked team not to progress.
- The highest winning margin was 87 points (South Africa v Namibia)
- The higher IRB ranked team won 35 out of the 40 games played.
- Four lower ranked team won: Canada (14) defeated Tonga (12); Ireland (8) defeated Australia (2); Argentina (9) defeated Scotland (7); Tonga (12) defeated France (4).
- There was one drawn game Japan (13) drew with Canada (14).
- The higher ranked team scored the first converted try, was leading at half time and won on 26 occasions in 40 games played.
- 241 tries were scored (108 first half, 133 second half).
- 1o referees officiated in four games each.
Detailed information about the Group Games can be found here.
Both photographs were taken by Stewart Baird.