The second round of sixteen games of the 2010 FIFA World Cup was completed yesterday. Statistics from the games can be found at the Official Web site.
I have been looking at goal scoring and performance in relation to FIFA ranking. In the second round of games there were 42 goals scored.
- In the 16 games played in the second round of games two teams who have scored first have lost. Nigeria scored first in game 19 of the tournament. Greece won the game 2-1. It is interesting to note that: Greece is higher in the FIFA rankings; Nigeria had a player sent off in the 33rd minute; both of Greece’s goals were scored after the sending off. In game 26 Cameroon scored first. Denmark won the game 2-1. Denmark is lower in the FIFA rankings than Cameroon. Both the teams to have scored first and lost are from the African continent and have been beaten by European teams. Cameroon has been beaten twice by lower ranked teams (Japan and Denmark).
- There was one 0-0 draw: England v Algeria.
- Portugal scored seven goals in their game against Korea DPR.
- Two higher ranking teams lost to lower ranking teams: Germany (v Serbia), Cameroon (v Denmark).
- Eight referees have now refereed two games each.
Autumn in South Africa